Monday, April 14, 2008

"What effects do stereotypes have on the decisions and choices of todays youth ?"

My question is "What effects do STEREOTYPES have on the decisions and choices of our youth ???".... This question interests me because I grew up dealing with stereotypes as did almost everyone else. But over the years Ive met a variety of people , people of many different races and backgrounds and cultures . I have seen many situations where sterotypes have been the fuel for controversy between groups . There are stereotypes in race, culture ,occupation, nationality ...etc. Growing up I feel the biggest controversy was between race groups because it was brought to my attention the most . Many confrontations with groups of other races or other neighborhoods arose where fights would often break out . I spent a good majority of my childhood in the projects. This was a very different atmosphere , there were many personalities who influenced my views against different groups of people .This was because I would here stories from people who I looked up to about how they viewed different groups I was not familiar with. These people I looked up to I basically let think for me and influence me to do things that might not of done on my own. As I got older i was eventually able to think for myself ... but i had already done alot of things that I couldnt get back! The next question that comes to my mind was that how many other people make the same mistakes , and why ? maybe if people were more knowledgeable things could change. How many other ways can stereotypes affect us ? (positve or negative)

No comments: