Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A FEW OTHER PEOPLES THOUGHTS

Today I decide that I would ask a few people my essential question and see what all there different responses were . While doing this I received alot of good insight on how my peers felt about my topic . These interviews gave me a different perspective on how other kids in my age group feel about my topic. I interveiwed a few people of different genders and racial backgrounds including my teacher Mr.Malley . I asked each person the same 5 questions 1.How do you feel about stereotypes ? 2.how do you think people stereotype you ? 3.In what ways do you feel that you stereotype other people ? 4.Do you have an example of a stereotypical situation ? 5.then last but not least i asked them to answer my essential question" In what ways do you think stereotypes affect the choices and decisions our youth make ?
Each persons interveiw stood out to me a little in different ways but it seem they all had one particular veiw in common Kiera stated that when it comes to sterotypes " it is what it is" and she feels that " Stereotypes kids by making them feel as if they have to fit certain personas ". This seemed to be the attitude of everyone I interviewed . Terrell Leslie said "If people want you to be a certain way then you are going to be that way " One persons interview who stood out to me the most was Roberto Gonzalez. Roberto stated that " People stereotype themselves because of lack of knowledge ...They try and fit the stereotypes they are given, But you have to learn to follow before you can lead " Last but not least I interviewed my Teacher Mr . Malley . Being an English teacher I knew he would have some interesting thoughts .When I asked him how he felt about stereotypes he stated that they " are genarally unfair ...as any type of prejudice or pre judging is ...think human beings often result to easily understood categories because it is perceived to be safer or easier". He also states that " People become self-fullfilling prophecies because who people perceive them to be ". So basically everyone felt nearly the same about the subject. "PEOPLE WANT TO BE ACCEPTED" and I have just about come to a conclusion of how to answer my essential question.

No comments: